Collagen is a naturally occurring protein in our cartilage, bones, and skin. It’s one of the most abundant proteins in our body and the main component of connective tissue. However, our natural production of collagen diminishes as we age, so it’s important that we support our body’s levels with supplements.
But what are the best collagen supplements that meet your health goal? We’ve put together a perfect guide to help you navigate and find the best for your health needs.
What Does Collagen Do?
Collagen is a fibrous protein that’s crucial to body composition. In fact, research has found that collagen is the key component of the extracellular matrix, which can be thought of as a ‘glue’ that holds together the body’s tissues.
Healthy collagen levels aid in:
- Healthy joints
- The maintenance of skin elasticity
- Contribution to bone density
- Playing a pivotal role in replacing skin cells.
Which Collagen Is the Best?
There is a total of 29 different varieties of collagen found in our body, including these five main types:
- Type I – makes up 90% of your body’s collagen, and it helps to promote healthy skin, bones, and connective tissue
- Type II – contributes to the formation of cartilage, bone, and other connective tissue, supporting healthy joints.
- Type III – mostly found in organs and muscles, it’s secreted by fibroblasts, which are cells in connective tissue that produce collagen
- Type IV – one of the major components of the basement membrane, which is the foundation of our skin that binds the epidermis and dermis layers
- Type V – most commonly found in corneas, organs, and muscles – this type of collagen plays a pivotal role in supporting healthy bones and connective tissue.
Most supplements feature a combination of type I and III, which covers most of the collagen found in your body. They contain collagen peptides, which are a digestible form of collagen that promotes better absorption.
The Best Collagen Supplements You Can’t Miss
Despite its abundance in the body, our natural collagen supply declines as we age. This is why many have turned to collagen supplements to support their skin, hair, and nail health.
Continue reading to find out the best collagen supplements that we think you’ll love!
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Powder
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Powder is a premium collagen supplement that has been designed to support a youthful appearance. Sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine collagen, this collagen powder delivers 20g of quality collagen peptide per serving to aid in healthy skin, hair, nails, and connective tissue.
It’s also unflavoured and odourless, making it a perfect, versatile addition to both hot and cold drinks, as well as baking recipes, such as collagen chocolate brownies.